Reframing/ Remounting "Inferno" & "Vine Wine"

"Inferno" - Before

IMG_8976.JPG

"Inferno" was originally mounted on pine 1"x2"  boards with one support piece in the middle. 

IMG_8978.JPG

"Vine Wine" - Before

IMG_8973.JPG

"Vine Wine" was originally mounted on pine 2x4 boards.  This made the painting fairly heavy and therefore more challenging to hang.

I wanted to upgrade the quality of the materials and the improve the mounting and finishing of both pieces.  So, I chose a higher quality solid oak wood for the frame, and newer, stronger fasteners.

IMG_8981.JPG

I measured and cut the wood to match the size of the canvases... sanded it and started putting them together.

IMG_9006.JPG
IMG_8980.JPG
IMG_9004.JPG
IMG_9009.jpg

To assure that they are well constructed, they have to pass an important test: 

THEY HAVE TO STAND ON THEIR OWN... ON ALL SIDES!

IMG_9018.JPG
IMG_9022.JPG
IMG_9012.JPG
IMG_9013.JPG

Important second test:  They have to be LEVEL from every side!

IMG_9021.JPG

Because of the length of the "Inferno" piece (4 ft), I added 2 support beams to help strengthen the frame and ensure that it would not bend in any way. 

IMG_9026.JPG

A little more sanding and "Inferno" is ready to wrap and secure to its new frame.

IMG_9078.JPG
IMG_9016.JPG

Some more sanding and "Vine Wine" is ready to wrap and secure to the new frame.

IMG_9085.JPG

The extra canvas was trimmed from the backs of both pieces. 

 

I then painted over the staples to make them less visible. 

"Inferno"... old frame vs. new frame

IMG_9073.JPG

"Vine Wine"... new frame vs. old frame

IMG_9088.jpg

"Inferno" - Before

IMG_8976.JPG

"Inferno" - after

IMG_9081.JPG

"Vine Wine" - Before

IMG_8973.JPG

"Vine Wine" - after

IMG_9086.JPG